Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A "pumpkin" is a large, orange fruit....

But to "pump kin" is to make love to one's own relatives.

Which is the best segue I could conjure up to introduce this post's topic: the Pulitzer Prize winning Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (also part of Oprah's Book Club... but mentioning this may or may not cause you to vomit, so I put it in parenthesis).


Now I haven't finished the book, but I already feel strongly enough about it to recommend.  Middlesex is the life (and pre-life) story of how transexual Calliope Stephanides explores a "guilty family secret" that made her who she is today.

My affinity for this book stems from attending high school in a typical upper class Chicago suburb.  Translation: being different meant being ridiculed.  If anyone was a transsexual, they were definitely not open about it.  Combine that with my college years at the conservative Purdue University, and I can honestly say I've never had the opportunity to learn anything about being transgendered. It's incredible to hear a new perspective.  Eugenides' style is a fresh mixture of male and female voices, combining to create an amazing presentation of this ever-so-unique story.

Open up your literary mind and add this to your library.  You won't regret it.

2 comments:

  1. Woo, I may actually read this. It sounds extremely fascinating, thanks for the recommendation!

    Also, thanks for adding me on 20sb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this has been on my list for a couple of years. I've only read virgin suicides. he did write virgin suicides didn't he?

    ah. so much to do, so little time!

    ReplyDelete